Sunday, June 28, 2009

The Fit FactorY: Herbal Cures you should Have at Home

Dr. Mao posted an article in Yahoo answers about the 8 common herbal treatments found at home. Read below and start planting in your garden, or stocking up on your spice rack now!

1. Rosemary
A good alternative to coffee. It Stimulates brain activities and increase brain alertness. Also aids in digestion and perks up your immune system.

2. Mint
Peppermint settles the stomach and alleviates gas. It also supports good vision and cleanses your liver.

3. Oregano
A great natural remedy to colds or flu!

4. Sage
Helps prevent the loss of mental function that comes with age.

5. Chives
A member of the garlic and onion family, chives have been used throughout history for natural healing because they contain a substantial amount of vitamin C as well as essential minerals such as potassium, calcium, iron and folic acid. They can strengthen the lower back and improve circulation.

6. Basil
Perks up your energy level (without the caffeine!)... and super delicious on a Margherita pizza might I add ;)

7. Cilantro
Boosts your immune system and aids in digestion.

8. Parsley
Cools the liver and clears the eyes.

Additionally, having some Turmeric on your house is good too, as it is one of the components in making an effective gout herbal remedy.

The good thing about this list is that most of them can be sneaked in to your dishes easily. And they add flavor too!

Monday, June 1, 2009

Fit FactorY: Eat Right 80% of the time, Let loose during the remaining 20%

I read this interesting Yahoo Health Article, that says: "If we do the right thing 80% of the time in
our lifestyle habits, then we can have some fun the other 20%".

And it makes a lot of sense.

In fact, a lot of us tend to associate eating healthy and keeping fit with pain, abstaining, and sheer torture, but it doesn't have to be that way. There are several simple ways to eat right that aren't actually that difficult to follow:

1. Eat Breakfast.
Interestingly enough, eating healthy means eating that first meal of the day. They say that people are 75% more likely to overeat the rest of the day if they skip breakfast. Plus, you need that morning boost to get you through the whole day! Like they say, eat like a king during breakfast, like a prince during lunch, and a pauper during dinner time.

2. Eat until you are full. Stop there.
Never eat past that "full" stage. If you have leftovers, eat it on another day. Not only does eating past the "full" stage lead to those unwanted flabs, you also run the risk of getting indigestion.

These two simple things can really make a world of difference and give you chance to have fun while eating right.